[aur-general] Question file conflict on a new package I took over

Gianni Vialetto g.vialetto at gmail.com
Mon Dec 10 14:35:54 EST 2012

On Mon, Dec 10, 2012 at 7:46 PM, Don deJuan <donjuansjiz at gmail.com> wrote:
> I just recently took over a package[1], and some people are having troubles
> updating due to file system conflict.

It seems that the util-linux package already contains a (different) libuuid.

> What is the actual proper way to handle a conflict like this? As a temp
> workaround I found that if I removed the package and then deleted those
> files left behind I can get it to install and all seems kosher after. But
> that is a ugly workaround.

Really ugly - in fact this workaround breaks util-linux and even
e2fsprogs (fsck.ext*) functionality, ouch.
As things stands i believe there is no easy solution to your problem -
renaming the library to something else seems to me the only way to
escape this DLL naming madness.

> Would the correct way be to use a .install file and then a pre_install hook
> to get rid of them?

Absolutely not. This could (and as murphy's law dictates, will) mess
up with the state of the system.
Event if you're sure it will not corrupt your file system or burn your
CPU - and in the world of DLL no one is - i believe it's bad pratice
in general to touch files other than those "owned" by your package in
the .install file hooks.

--
Gianni Vialetto
"To see things in the seed, that is genius." - Lao Tzu