[aur-general] Suggestions for dealing with packages that require root

Phillip Smith lists at fukawi2.nl
Thu Dec 20 17:53:28 EST 2012

On 20 December 2012 23:01, Dave Reisner <d at falconindy.com> wrote:

> To the OP, I suggest finding out what legitimately fails in the build when
> the user doesn't exist and patching the build system to suck less. When
> you're done, send your improvements upstream.

That would be ideal, but I don't have the time or skill to do that,
especially at this time of year.
Amanda is a fairly popular backup solution, I'm sure others more talented
than I have investigated it and if they can't fix it, I don't like my
chances of saving the day.

On 21 December 2012 05:52, Allen Li <cyberdupo56 at gmail.com> wrote:

> My suggestion would be to simply fail out if the user doesn't exist and
> have the user create the user himself.  (Include the "sudo adduser
> something" that needs to be run in the error message for simplicity).

That might be the best solution; it avoids anything having to run as root
(makepkg and/or $HELPER), and makes it ample clear to the user what the
situation is.