[aur-general] Idea for AUR improvement

Alex Belanger i.caught.air at gmail.com
Fri Jun 1 12:11:06 EDT 2012

Such tracking is usually done within the MAKEPKG file, e.g. [1]. It is
indeed better practice but not mandatory. As long as we can contact the
current maintainer, why the need of previous maintainer?

Second it doesn't really matter who owns the package. We all contribute to
Arch together and benefits from everyone's work as a whole. I understand
your willingness to own your baby, but we're a community. As long as I know
the package is well maintained, it doesn't make a big difference wether
it's him or you. You can always contact the person and deal something with
them if it can help you sleep better.

Lastly, you can already pick any package orphaned and give it some love.
AUR doesn't have (and I don't think it will ever have) any kind of
automated system for that. That's why we are here, also it helps keep an
eye on what's going on and take the good decisions.

Please keep in mind I don't have the truth, I'm nowhere near TU rank here.

I'm just speaking common sense.

Alex.
[1] http://aur.archlinux.org/packages/ac/ace/PKGBUILD