[aur-general] Idea for AUR improvement

Marcin 'sirmacik' Karpezo marcin at karpezo.pl
Fri Jun 1 14:20:14 EDT 2012

Dnia 2012-06-01, o godz. 12:11:06
Alex Belanger <i.caught.air at gmail.com> napisał(a):

> Such tracking is usually done within the MAKEPKG file, e.g. [1]. It is
> indeed better practice but not mandatory. As long as we can contact
> the current maintainer, why the need of previous maintainer?
>
> Second it doesn't really matter who owns the package. We all
> contribute to Arch together and benefits from everyone's work as a
> whole. I understand your willingness to own your baby, but we're a
> community. As long as I know the package is well maintained, it
> doesn't make a big difference wether it's him or you. You can always
> contact the person and deal something with them if it can help you
> sleep better.

I think you misunderstood me. It's not about taking packages back if
they are maintained. It's about giving orphaned packages back to the
previous maintainer if they are still orphaned and he has logged in
again and pushed some new packages to AUR or started maintaining some
other packages.

> Lastly, you can already pick any package orphaned and give it some
> love. AUR doesn't have (and I don't think it will ever have) any kind
> of automated system for that. That's why we are here, also it helps
> keep an eye on what's going on and take the good decisions.
>
> Please keep in mind I don't have the truth, I'm nowhere near TU rank
> here.

It's about having those orphaned packages maintained and giving them
that love that you mentioned by last maintainer. I also don't have the
truth but IMO many of those ppl like me (I hope I'm not the only one
here who's back to Arch) will gladly continue to maintain old packages
but there are times where you just don't remember you've ever had that
or some other package under your care.

> I'm just speaking common sense.

I'm really glad I can confront this idea with others and get some
valuable response. Second paragraph is also my response to Oon-Ee Ng.
Thanks!

--
Regards
Marcin 'sirmacik' Karpezo