[aur-general] AUR and unsuported architectures

Martti Kühne mysatyre at gmail.com
Sun Jun 3 20:12:48 EDT 2012

On Sun, Jun 03, 2012 at 08:52:39PM -0300, Hugo Osvaldo Barrera wrote:

> But that would simply add "arm" or "ppc" to the ARCH array.  The point
> is to know beforehand if the package works - currently I can know if a
> package works or not in my arch (amd64) by looking at the PKGBUILD.
> That's the whole point of that array.

Ultimately it sounds like a good idea to set up a modified AUR for each of
initially mirrors and modifies the arch of the current, later incoming packages
to aur and then let them be adopted by the people who use the arches. Then,
after the situation has fully surfaced, the "beforehand"-clause would be
satisfied. Only few modificaitons are actually needed, like a field "untested"
or something to indicate a package hasn't been acted upon or verified since the
automatic conversion. If a user finds a verified, he might be able to unverify
a package or be requested to use the comments section.

In a generalized approach this could solve even more of the current issues
mentioned with aur, if it would incrementalize by version, per-arch-diffs and
per-taco-diffs... making pkgbuilds patchwork. :)

cheers!
mar77i