[aur-general] TU Application - Daniel Wallace (gtmanfred)

Daniel Wallace daniel.wallace at gatech.edu
Sat Jun 9 23:23:42 EDT 2012

Hello,

I am applying to be a Trusted User.

    My name is Daniel Wallace, and I am a 22 year old computer science major at Georgia Institute
of Technology in Atlanta, GA.  I have been using linux for just over 2 years now, switching
to Archlinux about a year and a half ago.  My irc handle, aur username, and forums account
are all gtmanfred.

    As I said I started using Archlinux about a year and a half ago and did not immediately
understand what exactly I was doing or at all how the package manager worked.  I started
running archlinux on my netbook because Windows was too slow on it, and one of my roomates at
the time did some amazing things that I just didn't understand at all.  In December I started
frequenting the irc channel, starting on the day before Christmas when I had problems with
upgrading due to mtab.  After about 2 months I started to think about applying to be a
Trusted User and ask Thomas Dziedzic (td123) to be my sponser.

    I spent a lot of time learning bash and mainly zsh so that I could make the zsh completion
pacman-key and makepkg to be released in the next big pacman release.  I recently started
learning haskell, and even more recently became facinated with C while throwing myself in and
trying to make patches in response to some of the bugs on the bugtracker and have started to
read Learn C the Hard Way.

    My dotfiles and everything are fairly messy and spread out right now between github and
my cgit as I am trying to consolidate them before a commit to organize everything
[1] and [2]. I am currently maintaining 35 packages in unsupported [3].  I am still getting
used to the forums, but I am very active in #archlinux and looking to helping #archlinux-women
setup classes and see what happens with them in the future as well.  I have also more recently
started trying to contribute to the wiki and keeping it up to date.

    I would really like to be a TU because I find PKGBUILDs and the future possibilities for
Archlinux to be fascinating and I would really like to be able to give back and help this
wonderful community to continue to grow.  I don't really have any packages that I think
really need to be pulled to community, maybe at some point later, but I would really like to
start making zsh completion for a lot of packages which do not have it already.  I could start
by maintaining the zathura plugins and the haskell-syb package.

Like I said earlier, td123 is my sponser and my gpg key is here
http://code.gtmanfred.com/cgit/dotfiles.git/tree/signature.asc?h=tower

1. http://github.com/gtmanfred
2. http://code.gtmanfred.com
3. https://aur.archlinux.org/packages.php?SeB=m&K=gtmanfred