[aur-general] ChangeLog vs .ChangeLog

Jesse Juhani Jaara jesse.jaara at gmail.com
Fri Jun 15 18:23:08 EDT 2012

pe, 2012-06-15 kello 23:14 +0100, Mateusz Loskot kirjoitti:
> I've just realised, this file is named .PKGINFO whereas all packages
> use PKGBUILD.
PKGBUILD is the file that makepkg reads and builds the package according
to it. .PKGINFO file is generated by makepkg command and it contains
list of files inside the package, it's size, name, version.... all that
information. The .PKGINFO file is included inside the
pkgname-pkgver-x86_64.pkg.tar.xz file and you should never modify it
manually. .INSTALL is general name for the install file used in some
packages. Basicly makepkg just copies the file specified in install=
variable to the package along with the .PKGINFO file.

Then about the .ChangeLog file. I am not 100% sure, but if I have not
undestood everything incorrectly .ChangeLog file is the file specified
in changelog= variable inside PKGBUILD and copied into the generated
package by makepkg, just like .INSTALL file. This file should contain
the changes made into the PKGBUILD and description on how they affect
the application. ChangeLog without . in it is just the regular upstream
Changelog file, that is then copyed into some dir in the package my make
install or some cp/install command.