[aur-general] ChangeLog vs .ChangeLog

Mateusz Loskot mateusz at loskot.net
Fri Jun 15 18:34:13 EDT 2012

On 15 June 2012 23:23, Jesse Juhani Jaara <jesse.jaara at gmail.com> wrote:
> pe, 2012-06-15 kello 23:14 +0100, Mateusz Loskot kirjoitti:
>> I've just realised, this file is named .PKGINFO whereas all packages
>> use PKGBUILD.
>
> PKGBUILD is the file that makepkg reads and builds the package according
> to it. .PKGINFO file is generated by makepkg command
> [...]

Jessie,

Thank you for the clarification.
Actually, I think I didn't read the wiki about Creating packages
carefully enough, my bad.

It would be more explicit if the line

"An Arch package is no more than a tar archive compressed using xz, or
'tarball', which contains:"

reads

"An Arch package is no more than a tar archive compressed using xz, or
'tarball', which contains the following files generated by makepkg:"

Taken the liberty to suggest that in the wiki talk
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Talk:Creating_Packages#Clarification_of_Overview

> Then about the .ChangeLog file. I am not 100% sure, but if I have not
> undestood everything incorrectly .ChangeLog file is the file specified
> in changelog= variable inside PKGBUILD and copied into the generated
> package by makepkg, just like .INSTALL file. This file should contain
> the changes made into the PKGBUILD and description on how they affect
> the application. ChangeLog without . in it is just the regular upstream
> Changelog file, that is then copyed into some dir in the package my make
> install or some cp/install command.

I think I understand.
So, if I have the package ChangeLog I update as the foo package maintainer:

foo/ChangeLog
foo/PKGBUILD

Then in the foo/PKGBUILD I have

changelog=ChangeLog

which will be copied to .ChangeLog as you explained above. Right?

Best regards,