[aur-general] TU Application - György Balló

Allan McRae allan at archlinux.org
Fri Mar 2 07:01:59 EST 2012

On 02/03/12 21:38, Heiko Baums wrote:
> Am Fri, 02 Mar 2012 00:27:39 +0100
> schrieb Balló György <ballogyor at gmail.com>:
>
>> I understand Heiko's opinion and now I replaced these hackish split
>> packages by individual packages even if it's requires more maintenance
>> time on updates. So now users should able to install all of my
>> packages with AUR helpers, however I don't use these tools at all. I
>> hope that AUR once will have better support for split packages.
>
> Thanks, looks a lot better now. But there's still an issue.
>
> Your makedepends should all be depends since they are runtime, not
> only buildtime dependencies.

I see what was done there...  makedepends in split packages probably
need to become depends when built as individual packages.

@György:  Let that be a lesson in being careful when making reactionary
changes to packages.  Don't worry... it is a surprisingly common
occurrence when people first become a TU and start getting bug reports.
There are always annoying and persistent users that think they are
right, so you are better of not making reactionary changes to packages.
It is important to learn when a change does not need implemented, and
this change was probably not needed when no TU had posted about having
issues with the split packages.

Now that you have had it happen to you, I trust that you will not make
the same mistake again and so will be an even better TU!  I have seen
some of your other contributions from the sidelines and think you are a
good candidate.

Good luck,
Allan