[aur-general] Migrating name for python-{xlrd, xlwt, xlutils} before Py3 release

Ike Devolder ike.devolder at gmail.com
Sun Nov 11 05:12:16 EST 2012

On Sat, Nov 10, 2012 at 07:38:00PM -0800, Aaron DeVore wrote:
> I maintain the packages for xlrd, xlwt, and xlutils in the AUR. The project
> behind them, python-excel, will probably release a Python 3 version within
> the next few months.
>
> Currently, each product has two packages with the prefix python-* and
> python2-*. Both point to a Python 2 version, but I will eventually move the
> python- packages to use Python 3. The python-* packages have a description
> that adds on something like "(Use python2-xlrd!)". Should I have the
> python-* packages deleted, then recreate them when a Python 3 version is
> released?

no you dont have to get those packages deleted.
leave a comment in the python-* packages that they will eventually be
updated to python3 so if the users specifically want to use the python2
versions they can get them.

at the time the python-* packages start depending on python3, remove the
extra stuff in the description (you could already do that now)

--
Ike