[aur-general] Naming convention for Python 2 and 3 apps

Allen Li cyberdupo56 at gmail.com
Thu Nov 29 01:08:42 EST 2012

On Thu, Nov 29, 2012 at 04:58:28AM +0000, Xyne wrote:
> Use "flake8" (Python 3) and "python2-flake8". If you cannot rename the installed
> files in python2-flake8 to avoid conflicts, add a "conflict=(python8)" to the
> PKGBUILD.
>
> In general the "python*-" prefix is reserved for library packages, but its real
> purpose (imo) is simply to indicate that a package is closely tied to some
> version of Python.
>

> While we're on the subject, can someone please explain to me again why we use
> "python-" and not "python3-" for Python 3 libraries?
>
> Regards,
> Xyne

Thanks, that makes sense.

I believe it's because Python 3 is now considered the "default" python
installation, while Python 2 is a specific version.  It's the same
reason Python 3 is python and Python 2 is python2 in the repo.  Although
there are quite a few Python 2 packages both in the official repos and
on the AUR that use "python-*", I suppose no one can be buggered to fix
it.

Allen