[aur-general] ibus orphans in [community]

Alexander Rødseth rodseth at gmail.com
Tue Oct 16 11:30:30 EDT 2012

Hello,

ibus is used for keyboard input for a few major non-English languages.

Several of the ibus packages has been unmaintained for a while now:
https://www.archlinux.org/packages/?sort=&repo=Community&q=ibus&maintainer=orphan
For instance, ibus-sunpinyin, was last updated almost a year ago (2011-10-02).

These ibus-packages have survived at least one package-cleanup, being
neither adopted nor moved.
While there is interest amongst the trusted users to maintain these,
none of the trusted users are currently using ibus.

After visiting #archlinux-cn, a couple of friendly people expressed
interest in maintaining the ibus packages, but they had only few
packages on AUR to show for.
I also learned that mostly, fcitx (currently in [extra], is used
instead of ibus). Dropping ibus could have been an option, but I also
heard rumors that ibus will be a dependency of gnome-settings-daemon.

There is also a canidate for asking to maintain the ibus packages,
that has not yet been contacted, but which already maintains several
related packages on AUR:
https://aur.archlinux.org/packages.php?K=yangtsesu&SeB=m

If you think that his packages look ok, my plan is to contact
yangtsesu and ask if he wants to maintain the ibus packages in
[community] (and thus becoming a TU).

If you know of other canidates that have a comparable selection of
relevant AUR packages, please let us know who they are.

Please correct me if any of the above is incorrect or let us know if
you have additional information.

Sounds like a plan?

--
Cordially,