[aur-general] Changes in Arch packaging standards

Maxime Gauduin alucryd at gmail.com
Fri Dec 6 04:41:11 EST 2013

On Fri, Dec 6, 2013 at 10:25 AM, Sergej Pupykin <ml at sergej.pp.ru> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Bartłomiej Piotrowski proposed packaging standard changes:
> if there are 2 versions of some package foobar, then older version
> (1.0
> for example) must be named as foobar1-1.0 and newer version (2.0 for
> example) must be named as foobar-2.0.
>
> I did not see such rule yet on
> https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Arch_Packaging_Standards#Package_naming
> page, but my package openjpeg2 was silently removed with this reason
> however there are gtk* and wxgtk* packages that also violate this
> rule.
>
> I insist on giving me proof-link for this rule, including this rule
> into wiki
> (https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Arch_Packaging_Standards#Package_naming)
> and renaming all packages according this rule.
>
> Or just leave it as is and stop dropping my packages.
>
> For more info see:
> https://bugs.archlinux.org/task/38016

I would change that rule a bit, because wxgtk is a special case. The
2.9 branch is a devel branch, keeping wxgtk for the stable branch and
adding a suffix for the devel branch makes sense. Speaking of wxgtk,
now that 3.0.0 is out, we will most likely need to get rid of wxgtk29
and create a legacy wxgtk28 package.

Anyway, imho the rule should be: use plain name for the latest stable
release, and add the appropriate suffix (usually 1 or 2 digits) for any
other release.

Cheers,
--
Maxime