[aur-general] TU application - Sponsored by Balló György

Martin Wimpress martin+arch at flexion.org
Tue Dec 10 18:18:47 EST 2013

Hi,

On Tue, 2013-12-10 at 22:14 +0000, Xyne wrote:

> That is a very nice application. It leaves no doubt concerning your skill and
> dedication (assuming that it's all true... Balló left carrying rubber gloves,
> so I expect that he was thorough in vetting you). Having someone from upstream
> maintain the MATE ecosystem would ensure a great user experience, and you are
> clearly capable of maintaining the packages in a repo.

Thanks for your kind words. If you want to find out if my background is
genuine you can ask over at #mate-dev at freenode Balló has also been very
helpful over the last week or so.

> Your PKGBUILDs look good overall but I noticed two things. The first is the
> absence of quoted variables (e.g $srcdir), but you mentioned that you wrote a
> script to generate PKGBUILDs so perhaps that is a single, central fault?

Balló has pointed that out too and it will be resolved in the next few
days.

> The second is the absence of "prepare" functions. There are numerous packages
> that modify existing source files  in the "build" and/or "package" functions
> (e.g. several replace "python" with "python2"). All such modifications should
> be done in a separate "prepare" function when possible.

Also recently pointed out and I have actually started the transition,
see the mate-file-archiver PKGBUILD below.

  *
https://github.com/mate-desktop/archlinux-packages/blob/master/mate-file-archiver/PKGBUILD

The other PKGBUILDs that require prepare() will be updated in the next
few days.

> Beyond that there were just a few niggles. For example, I wonder why you
> check if the CARCH variable is empty in the brother-mfc7360n-lpr package [1].
> The "arch" array restricts available architectures to x86_64 and i686, so the
> warning doesn't make sense to me.

I based the PKGBUILD on another in the AUR. I needed to get a new
printer working for my in-laws (who also run Arch Linux) and only did
the bare minimum to get the packages working. I'll clean them up at some
point.

> There are also some apparently inherited PKGBUILD issues, e.g. the missing
> package function in nullmailer [2] but I presume those will be fixed whenever
> the next update happens.

Partly an inheritance issue and partly that I've learnt a hell of a lot
in the past few months sorting out the MATE packages for Arch Linux and
haven't applied all I have learnt to the other packages. I'll get the
`nullmailer` package sorted ASAP.

Thanks for the feedback, it is all very useful.

--
Regards, Martin.