[aur-general] Merge and disown request

Armin K. krejzi at email.com
Sun Dec 29 18:31:25 EST 2013

On 12/28/2013 10:29 AM, Evgeniy Alekseev wrote:
> On Tuesday 24 December 2013 14:02:43 Armin K. wrote:
>> I've contacted the maintainers of clang-svn two weeks ago (see comments)
>> but he didn't responded yet. I'd like you to disown clang-svn so someone
>> else can step up maintaining, but since I've asked maintainer of
>> llvm-svn (which you can also see in comments of llvm-svn package) to
>> merge clang-svn into it, you can go ahead and merge it instead of
>> disowning it first, then merging it later.
>>
>> https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/clang-svn into
>> https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/llvm-svn
>
> Hi.
> First, our rules assume communication with the maintainer via e-mail [1, the
> third paragraph], because some people disable notifications about new
> comments. And this package isn't marked as out-of-date.

I'll contact maintainer via e-mail then, but I might wait a week before
doing that, since it's holidays time.

> Second, I don't think merging clang into llvm is a good idea. I believe that
> packages in AUR must not contain several different packages (as clang and
> llvm), because it creates difficulties when creating a dependency tree and
> finding a needed package.

clang package already contains llvm, since clang is built as part of
llvm but is built differently than llvm and they conflict with each
other in this case but they should belong with each other.

As you can see in the pkgbuild, clang clones llvm source and everything
from that source is built.

--
Note: My last name is not Krejzi.