[aur-general] Merge packages

Hugo Osvaldo Barrera hugo at osvaldobarrera.com.ar
Mon Jan 21 10:40:36 EST 2013

On 2013-01-18 15:31, Hilton Medeiros wrote:
> On 01/18/2013 03:20 PM, Jonathan Arnold wrote:
>> I was the maintainer for the ttf-source-code-pro package and
>> noticed that Adobe had started to put both the OTF and the TTF
>> together in the same zip file, so I figured it would be okay to
>> install both.
>>
>> Further investigation tells me that some apps only want to use
>> TTF, while most will use OTF if it is there or TTF otherwise.
>> However, I was not able to uncover what happens if both are
>> there and which one an app might use or even how to tell an app
>> to use one instead of the other. Or if it makes any difference.
>>
>> As they are released simultaneously in the same file, it is
>> easier to keep one package up to date. And I did ask on the otf
>> package if it would be okay and/or better to just combine them.
>> But if there is a sound techical reason for having 2 different
>> packages, we could go back to that easily enough.
>>

> Thanks for the response. I would be glad if we could rollback
> this, as I wouldn't like to see more ttf and otf fonts being
> packaged together, as I believe it is pointless to install both
> together. They get registered with the same name and we can't make
> sure which one will be used on each application.

And why is it relevant which one is used by which applications? The
fonts are the same. If you care for some deep technical reason, you
can just check the software's source to see which on it prefers.

> I never saw an application having problems with otf fonts and it
> is very easy anyway to maintain split ttf and otf packages. So my
> "sound technical reason" is that I would rather know for sure
> which file format is being used when I select the font name in any
> application.

A single package is a good idea because it's a single upstream
packages as well. ArchLinux's philosophy is to keep things as close as
posible to upstream; splitting a single packages into two goes against
that.

It also makes little sense to keep two packages that download the same
source and discard half of it prior to installation.

Also, your "sound technical reason" sound like a whim; what problem
are you trying to solve? What are you trying to improve/change?

> If you mean "sound technical reason" between using otf instead of
> ttf, searching around I found these:
>
> http://superuser.com/questions/96390/difference-between-otf-open-type-or-ttf-true-type-font-formats
>
> http://www.differencebetween.net/technology/difference-between-ttf-and-otf/
>
> Thank you.

Software which supports TTF and OTF tend to prefer OTF by default, so
having both won't be an issue.

If you want a TTF-only package or OTF-only package, you're free to
create it, but I belive the merged package make way more sense.

--
Hugo Osvaldo Barrera