[aur-general] NVIDIA drivers

Maxime Gauduin alucryd at gmail.com
Fri Jan 25 18:41:43 EST 2013

On Fri, Jan 25, 2013 at 11:43 PM, Oon-Ee Ng <ngoonee.talk at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Jan 26, 2013 6:10 AM, "Rob Til Freedmen" <rob.til.freedman at gmail.com>
> wrote:
> >
> > There is a dependency in nvidia/PKGBUILD which is totally wrong
> > depends=( [...] "nvidia-utils=${pkgver}")
> >
> > It leads to a circular dependency at ***build*** time and isn't really
> needed
> > at run time for nvidia to work.
> >
> > depends=( [...] "nvidia-utils") should be enough to pull it in when
> > installing/updating
> >
> > I've reported it last year but didn't got any response from the
> maintainer.
> >

> Have you tried installing different versions of nvidia-utils and nvidia?
> There's a reason for that versions dependency.

I did once by mistake, that wasn't pretty. No the hard dependencies are
required, the problem is the depends array implies makedepends, but
sometimes it is wrong like here. Making depends and makedepends
independent, then have makepkg check for depends only at install time would
make more sense. However that would mean a rewrite of these 2 arrays in all
the PKGBUILDs in the AUR, I don't see that happening.

--
Alucryd

"In the name of God, impure souls of the living dead shall be banished into
eternal damnation. Amen."