[aur-general] NVIDIA drivers

Oon-Ee Ng ngoonee.talk at gmail.com
Fri Jan 25 21:25:54 EST 2013

On Jan 26, 2013 7:42 AM, "Maxime Gauduin" <alucryd at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Fri, Jan 25, 2013 at 11:43 PM, Oon-Ee Ng <ngoonee.talk at gmail.com>
wrote:

> > On Jan 26, 2013 6:10 AM, "Rob Til Freedmen" <rob.til.freedman at gmail.com>
> > wrote:
> > >
> > > There is a dependency in nvidia/PKGBUILD which is totally wrong
> > > depends=( [...] "nvidia-utils=${pkgver}")
> > >
> > > It leads to a circular dependency at ***build*** time and isn't really
> > needed
> > > at run time for nvidia to work.
> > >
> > > depends=( [...] "nvidia-utils") should be enough to pull it in when
> > > installing/updating
> > >
> > > I've reported it last year but didn't got any response from the
> > maintainer.
> > >

> > Have you tried installing different versions of nvidia-utils and nvidia?
> > There's a reason for that versions dependency.
> >

> I did once by mistake, that wasn't pretty. No the hard dependencies are
> required, the problem is the depends array implies makedepends, but
> sometimes it is wrong like here. Making depends and makedepends
> independent, then have makepkg check for depends only at install time
would
> make more sense. However that would mean a rewrite of these 2 arrays in
all
> the PKGBUILDs in the AUR, I don't see that happening.

If that makes sense I'm sure a feature request on pacman wouldn't be out of
place. Minimal benefit though, as this really only affects a handful of
packages. Doesn't makepkg have a flag to ignore dependencies? Arch laptop
died so I can't easily check, that would be easier on everyone involved
(except yaourt and similar users)