[aur-general] NVIDIA drivers

Maxime Gauduin alucryd at gmail.com
Sat Jan 26 09:30:30 EST 2013

On Sat, Jan 26, 2013 at 3:25 AM, Oon-Ee Ng <ngoonee.talk at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Jan 26, 2013 7:42 AM, "Maxime Gauduin" <alucryd at gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > On Fri, Jan 25, 2013 at 11:43 PM, Oon-Ee Ng <ngoonee.talk at gmail.com>
> wrote:
> >
> > > On Jan 26, 2013 6:10 AM, "Rob Til Freedmen" <
> rob.til.freedman at gmail.com>

> really
> > > needed

> > > maintainer.
> > > >

> > > Have you tried installing different versions of nvidia-utils and
> nvidia?
> > > There's a reason for that versions dependency.
> > >

> > I did once by mistake, that wasn't pretty. No the hard dependencies are
> > required, the problem is the depends array implies makedepends, but
> > sometimes it is wrong like here. Making depends and makedepends
> > independent, then have makepkg check for depends only at install time
> would
> > make more sense. However that would mean a rewrite of these 2 arrays in
> all
> > the PKGBUILDs in the AUR, I don't see that happening.
> >
> If that makes sense I'm sure a feature request on pacman wouldn't be out of
> place. Minimal benefit though, as this really only affects a handful of
> packages. Doesn't makepkg have a flag to ignore dependencies? Arch laptop
> died so I can't easily check, that would be easier on everyone involved
> (except yaourt and similar users)

makepkg does have such an option (-d) and yaourt should too since it is a
wrapper. I have nevertheless posted a feature request on makepkg here:
https://bugs.archlinux.org/task/33574
While I too believe it's not worth the trouble seeing it concerns only a
few packages, I'll see what feedback it gets.
--
Alucryd

"In the name of God, impure souls of the living dead shall be banished into
eternal damnation. Amen."