[aur-general] AUR cleanup policy

Karol Blazewicz karol.blazewicz at gmail.com
Wed Jun 19 19:59:01 EDT 2013

On Thu, Jun 20, 2013 at 1:27 AM, Karol Woźniak <wozniakk at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 19 June 2013 23:49, Doug Newgard <scimmia22 at outlook.com> wrote:
>>
>> I don't think anyone's suggesting just removing them en mass, but removing them if upstream is gone, they don't build, and haven't been updated in a long time. In that situation, what would the reason be to keep them?
>>

> For example there might be some patches already applied which could
> help a possible future maintainer to bring the package back to life.
> And even if not, someone might find an application he needs through
> our search and then adopt it. I sometimes do it myself, instead of
> googling around for something, I go straight to yaourt -Ss with some
> keywords :).

The search returns a dozen unmaintained packages and you have to look
through them, check the PKGBUILDs for any bits that are still
relevant, find where upstream has gone etc. Sometimes the first
package will be what you need, other times none of them will fit.
I don't want to remove valuable info, but I prefer to have a
reasonable signal-to-noise ratio.