[aur-general] Unexpected aur package removal.

Daniel Wallace danielwallace at gtmanfred.com
Wed Mar 13 00:49:45 EDT 2013

On Wed, Mar 13, 2013 at 12:41:50AM -0400, Yichao Yu wrote:
> On Wed, Mar 13, 2013 at 12:34 AM, Daniel Wallace
> <danielwallace at gtmanfred.com> wrote:
> > On Wed, Mar 13, 2013 at 12:17:13AM -0400, Yichao Yu wrote:

> >> I agree, and I have already fixed it.
> >>
> >> BUT, that is NOT what I am asking!! What I am REALLY asking here is
> >> why did you simply remove the package!!
> >> You can leave a comment (which you did 1min before you go right to the
> >> incorrect last step), flag it out-of-date, send me a email, or even
> >> disown it and correct it yourself according to the AUR two-week policy
> >> if I refuse to update. Is it what you think a TU should do to remove
> >> (without waiting for the shortest reasonable response time or even
> >> attempting to improve) all non-standard/old PKGBUILD on AUR.
> >>
> >> It is fine if you have just removed it by accident (although I will
> >> probably suggest to move the remove button and the flag-out-of-date
> >> button farther away for TU if that's the case), but if you were doing
> >> that on purpose, what you did is totally non-constructive. This is
> >> definitely NOT what a TU should do. Let me remind you what a TU should
> >> do is "check PKGBUILDs for minor mistakes, suggest corrections and
> >> improvements"[1], I am not sure which of the three does "removing
> >> package right away" belong to.
> >>
> >> [1] https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/AUR_Trusted_User_Guidelines#The_TU_and_.5Bunsupported.5D

> > If you read the front page of the AUR, you will note the following.
> >
> > Contributed PKGBUILDs must conform to the Arch Packaging Standards
> > otherwise they will be deleted!
>
> OK, as you are happily deleting every single slightly non-standard AUR
> packages, I want to ask on the mailinglist when did removing package
> immediately becoming the rule.
>

> > https://aur.archlinux.org/
> >
> > --
> > Daniel Wallace
> > Archlinux Trusted User (gtmanfred)
> > Georgia Institute of Technology

For the record, I have only deleted NEWLY updated packages that are
either.

A) Named incorrectly.
	Someone uploads a -git or -svn package and doesn't name it -git or
	-svn, it has no votes and no comments, so instead of waiting for it
	to get to a point where it would have to be merged, I leave a note
	explaining that it should be named correctly and then delete it.

B) it has no package() function.
	I am not going through all of the aur and deleting everything
	without a package() function.  I am deleting newly uploaded packages
	that don't have a package() function.  I noticed yours had 3 votes,
	I assumed it was because it was one of the first ones in my rss feed
	of new packages to the aur, and one of the oldest since the last
	time I had gone through them.  If you check the AUR stats on teh
	side of the home page, you will not that 1/4th of all packages in
	the aur have never been updated.  So instead of just leaving a note
	to add a package() function I delete them because it is brand new,
	almost no votes and usually no comments.

	On this point, I don't believe we should be merging to any packages
	which do not properly meet the Packaging Guidelines.