[aur-general] Unexpected aur package removal.

Yichao Yu yyc1992 at gmail.com
Wed Mar 13 00:58:15 EDT 2013

On Wed, Mar 13, 2013 at 12:49 AM, Daniel Wallace
<danielwallace at gtmanfred.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Mar 13, 2013 at 12:41:50AM -0400, Yichao Yu wrote:
>> On Wed, Mar 13, 2013 at 12:34 AM, Daniel Wallace
>> <danielwallace at gtmanfred.com> wrote:

>> > If you read the front page of the AUR, you will note the following.
>> >
>> > Contributed PKGBUILDs must conform to the Arch Packaging Standards
>> > otherwise they will be deleted!
>>
>> OK, as you are happily deleting every single slightly non-standard AUR
>> packages, I want to ask on the mailinglist when did removing package
>> immediately becoming the rule.
>>

>> > https://aur.archlinux.org/
>> >
>> > --
>> > Daniel Wallace
>> > Archlinux Trusted User (gtmanfred)
>> > Georgia Institute of Technology
>
> For the record, I have only deleted NEWLY updated packages that are
> either.
>
> A) Named incorrectly.
>         Someone uploads a -git or -svn package and doesn't name it -git or
>         -svn, it has no votes and no comments, so instead of waiting for it
>         to get to a point where it would have to be merged, I leave a note
>         explaining that it should be named correctly and then delete it.

This is probably fine but I think there should REALLY be a guide line
on wiki or AT LEAST a NOTE on the mailing list ~1-2days before you
start to do that.

> B) it has no package() function.
>         I am not going through all of the aur and deleting everything
>         without a package() function.  I am deleting newly uploaded packages
>         that don't have a package() function.  I noticed yours had 3 votes,
>         I assumed it was because it was one of the first ones in my rss feed
>         of new packages to the aur, and one of the oldest since the last
>         time I had gone through them.  If you check the AUR stats on teh
>         side of the home page, you will not that 1/4th of all packages in
>         the aur have never been updated.  So instead of just leaving a note
>         to add a package() function I delete them because it is brand new,
>         almost no votes and usually no comments.

I'm assuming you remove "brand" new packages because they have no user. But
1, this is a simple rename of an old package, that is NOT NEW
2, there are 3 votes, which means it has user
3, since you already has rss for packages, why can't you be more
responsible (as a TU) to come back at the package at least a couple of
days later.