[aur-general] Fighting spam on the AUR

Xyne xyne at archlinux.ca
Thu Mar 14 03:43:30 EDT 2013

oliver wrote:

>Delays in actions are worse than Captchas.
>
>If I do something, I want immediate feedback.
>Otherwise I assume the system is not working and I would try again...
>...maybe 3 or 5 or 10 times until I think "AUR is shit!", "Fuck Arch".
>
>Even Captchas allow immediate feedback, even they insist me to
>have detour instead of a straight way.
>But at least I know whats going on.
>
>Waiting - especially if there is an unknown delay time -
>is the whorst case.
>
>Ciao,
>   Oliver

It wouldn't be a black box. A message would be displayed, perhaps along with
some (hash-tag based) link that the user could follow to check the action's
status.

Slashdot comments do not appear immediately and yet people continue to post
them. Besides, if the comment is clearly constructive then the account can be
unflagged immediately by a TU to avoid all further delays.

The delay really should not be an issue. It is common to wait days for a reply.
If an action takes a couple of hours to show up then it will not make any
difference in most cases.

Keep in mind that most users will not be affected by this either. It will be a
temporary condition for new accounts.

All that said, I'm not even sure that I fully support this idea. I'm just
exploring it.