[aur-general] oracle-instantclient-* and instantclient-* merged?
mateusz at loskot.net
Mon Mar 25 07:08:07 EDT 2013
There are two sets of very similar packages for Oracle InstantClient
1) dedicated for version 184.108.40.206.0
- relies on .zip w/ binaries downloaded by user and copied into
location of the unpacked package
- installs into /usr - canonical
2) dedicated for version 220.127.116.11.0
- uses manual_download to grab .zip w/ binaries from Oracle,
but I doubt it works as Oracle requires to accept license
on the website
- installs into /opt - is this a good idea?
- oracle-instantclient name prefix seems clearer than instantclient
There is also page Oracle client page on Wiki which is based
on the oracle-instantclient-basic package
I wonder if and how these two packages could be either 1) merged
or 2) unified, so they can be explained in the same article.
Ideally, if they could be merged, but then it would be necessary to detect
in PKGBUILD if copied .zip binaries are for 18.104.22.168.0 or 22.214.171.124.0 and
future 11 versions, and accept all current InstantClient versions.
IMHO, it's enough to check if this is 11.2 or even 11.
FYI, I haven't talked to the maintainers of those packages to avoid
First, I'd like to learn what are recommended options to handle such
of virtually the same software.
Mateusz Loskot, http://mateusz.loskot.net
More information about the aur-general