[aur-general] oracle-instantclient-* and instantclient-* merged?

Ike Devolder ike.devolder at gmail.com
Mon Mar 25 16:16:23 EDT 2013

On Mon, Mar 25, 2013 at 11:08:07AM +0000, Mateusz Loskot wrote:
> Hi,
>
> There are two sets of very similar packages for Oracle InstantClient
>
> 1) dedicated for version 11.2.0.3.0
> https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/oracle-instantclient-basic/
>
> - relies on .zip w/ binaries downloaded by user and copied into
> location of the unpacked package
> - installs into /usr - canonical
>
> 2) dedicated for version 11.2.0.2.0
> https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/instantclient-basic/
>
> - uses manual_download to grab .zip w/ binaries from Oracle,
> but I doubt it works as Oracle requires to accept license
> on the website
> - installs into /opt - is this a good idea?
>
> Also,
> - oracle-instantclient name prefix seems clearer than instantclient
>
> There is also page Oracle client page on Wiki which is based
> on the oracle-instantclient-basic package
> https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Oracle_client
>
> I wonder if and how these two packages could be either 1) merged
> or 2) unified, so they can be explained in the same article.
>
> Ideally, if they could be merged, but then it would be necessary to detect
> in PKGBUILD if copied .zip binaries are for 11.2.0.2.0 or 11.2.0.3.0 and
> future 11 versions, and accept all current InstantClient versions.
> IMHO, it's enough to check if this is 11.2 or even 11.
>
> FYI, I haven't talked to the maintainers of those packages to avoid
> generating noise.
> First, I'd like to learn what are recommended options to handle such
> split packages
> of virtually the same software.
>
> Best regards,
> --

It looks like both packages provide the same software.

The /usr install is indeed the preferred way in most cases, i think here
too.

The /opt install can be interesting if you want to run multiple versions
of the same application next to each other.

personally i would merge those packages because they provide the same.

when they would be merged the merged package should provide the last
version. if it is not possible due to bugs or other problems with the
last version it should be stated or claified when someone asks.

--
Ike