Ike Devolder ike.devolder at gmail.com
Tue Mar 26 04:21:02 EDT 2013

On Mon, Mar 25, 2013 at 09:52:40PM +0000, Mateusz Loskot wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I can't find anything in the AUR guidelines article about
> recommended naming convention for packages.
> Apart, from the brief paragraph here
> https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Arch_Packaging_Standards#Package_naming
>
> I stumbled upon two packages that make me wonder about that:
>
> 1) https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/gist-git/
> installs straight from repo and, by convention, uses -git suffix
>
> 2) https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/ruby-jist/
> installs from Ruby gem
>
> Am I right the latter should be named just jist
> and jist-git for version of the package installing form git?
>
> Or, is the ruby- prefix recommended here?
> Or, the former should  be actually named ruby-gist-git?
>
> There is another one, same kind of tool but implemented in Python:
>
> https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/pygist-git/
>
> What, if any, is the naming policy in such cases?
>
> I sense, it those packages should be named after software
> they provide:
>
> https://github.com/defunkt/gist -> gist and gist-git
> https://github.com/ConradIrwin/jist -> jist and jist-git
> https://github.com/mattikus/pygist -> pygist and pygist-git
>
> Their implementation language is displayed in dependencies.
>
> Best regards,
> --

normally we have a convention about libs:

example: python2-yenc (this is not a standalone app but a lib that might
be needed for apps)

in the case of an application, for example depending on python2 the
recommended way of packaging is just use the application name.

example sabnzbd (depends on python2, is written in python but is an
application, not a lib)

so i would say your naming scheme is correct.

--
Ike