Mateusz Loskot mateusz at loskot.net
Mon Mar 25 17:52:40 EDT 2013

Hi,

I can't find anything in the AUR guidelines article about
recommended naming convention for packages.
Apart, from the brief paragraph here
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Arch_Packaging_Standards#Package_naming

I stumbled upon two packages that make me wonder about that:

1) https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/gist-git/
installs straight from repo and, by convention, uses -git suffix

2) https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/ruby-jist/
installs from Ruby gem

Am I right the latter should be named just jist
and jist-git for version of the package installing form git?

Or, is the ruby- prefix recommended here?
Or, the former should  be actually named ruby-gist-git?

There is another one, same kind of tool but implemented in Python:

https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/pygist-git/

What, if any, is the naming policy in such cases?

I sense, it those packages should be named after software
they provide:

https://github.com/defunkt/gist -> gist and gist-git
https://github.com/ConradIrwin/jist -> jist and jist-git
https://github.com/mattikus/pygist -> pygist and pygist-git

Their implementation language is displayed in dependencies.

Best regards,