[aur-general] Confusing over .AURINFO usage

Lukas Fleischer archlinux at cryptocrack.de
Sat May 4 11:18:24 EDT 2013

On Sat, May 04, 2013 at 11:01:55AM -0400, member graysky wrote:
> On Sat, May 4, 2013 at 10:54 AM, Lukas Fleischer
> <archlinux at cryptocrack.de>wrote:
>

> > > I created ./.AURINFO which contains a single line:
> > >
> > >  pkgdesc = NVIDIA drivers for linux-ck.
> > >
> > > I ran `makepkg --source` to gen the AUR package but found no traces of
> > > the .AURINFO file therein.  Unsurprisingly, the AUR did not pickup on
> > > this when I uploaded the corresponding nvidia-ck-313.30-5.src.tar.gz
> > > package.  Are users expected to manually add .AURINFO to the
> > > src.tar.gz post makepkg?
> >
> > As you can guess from the name, .AURINFO is AUR specific. Thus it is not
> > added by makepkg(8). You can add it manually -- make sure you put it
> > into the subdirectory, though.
> >
> > Of course, we aim at creating meta data automatically at some point, so
> > feel free to come up with something that parses source packages,
> > generates .AURINFO and adds them to the tarball.
> >

> Thanks, I get it.  This definitely seems like something makepkg should
> detect and handle automatically    Are the .AURINFO files here to stay?

Note that .AURINFO functionality will not be added to pacman/makepkg,
unless the format is extended to work with split packages and all corner
cases that we do not care about in the AUR.

The idea is to start with an external tool to post process source
packages and then extend this tool, as well as the underlying .AURINFO
format, until we get something that is suitable for integration with
makepkg.