[aur-general] Removal request: "spotcommander-xampp"

Xyne xyne at archlinux.ca
Fri May 31 16:32:06 EDT 2013

Ole Jon Bjørkum wrote:

>I request that the package "spotcommander-xampp" be removed from AUR.

>Reason: I am the developer of SpotCommander. The version in AUR is very
>outdated. I am planning to upload the latest version of SpotCommander to
>AUR, and to avoid confusion among users, I think the old package should be
>removed. The new version is better in every way, so there's no reason to
>keep it around. I have talked to the maintainer of the package and he agree.

I disagree. Once you have uploaded the new package (presumably under a
different name, as there would be no reason to delete the old package
otherwise, given that you could simply update it instead), a TU can merge the
old one into the new one with a message redirecting users to install the new
package. If we simply delete the package now, the transition will be more
difficult for existing users.

Send another email when the new package is up.

>SpotCommander can also be installed manually:
>https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/SpotCommander.
>The package I am going to upload to AUR automates this process.

I'm a bit confused by this statement. All PKGBUILDs "automate" the creation of
packages. Combined with the previous statement, it sounds as though you might
not know how PKGBUILDs work. They provide instructions for makepkg to download
sources and build a Pacman package. Updating the package is usually as simple
as updating the package version in the PKGBUILD to direct it to retrieve and
build the latest sources.

Incidentally, it is bad advice to suggest that users install a package manually
on Arch Linux. PKGBUILDs are dead-simple to write and make it possible to fully
manage the installed package with dependency resolution. Manual installation
can lead to system clutter, file conflicts and other problems.

Regards,
Xyne