[aur-general] Merge request python-pyside into pyside

kachelaqa kachelaqa at gmail.com
Mon Sep 2 00:43:25 EDT 2013

On 02/09/13 03:17, Gabriel Ribeiro da Cruz Peixoto wrote:
> I don't think spiting the application from it's library is a official
> policy, or at least it is not followed by all packagers.

The python modules supplied by shiboken and sip aren't application
libraries - they're separate (and strictly optional) components that are
designed to be imported into other python applications.

> On my system I found many packages that don't have a python-* name and
> install files on site-packages:

Yes, any python application/library that uses e.g. distutils for
building and installation will almost certainly end up with most of it's
files in site-packages (that's what it's designed for, after all).

But the sip/shiboken packages aren't primarily python applications -
they are development tools that generate python bindings for C/C++
libraries (such as Qt). The python modules they include can be built for
use with either python2 or python3. But the commandline tool itself can
generate bindings for *both* python versions - so only one of them is
needed. Splitting up the packages just provides a more efficient way to
install the python2 and python3 variants side-by-side (i.e. one
commandline tool, plus 0-2 python modules).