[aur-general] Openstack discussion

Lance Chen cyen0312 at gmail.com
Mon Apr 7 08:57:02 EDT 2014

Hello there,

OpenStack has been a popular project ever since it became mature. It is well
packaging and testing in several major distributions[1], such as Debian, Ubuntu,
OpenSUSE, and Redhat. Arch Linux being a minimal distribution, is
actually pretty
suitable for deploying cloud service in my opinion. I say we should leverage the
simplicity to make Arch Linux dominant in the area of cloud service. There are
two problems we have to solve first to keeping moving on.

First, the branching problem, as nekinie mentioned. OpenStack maintains three
branches[1] simultaneously, stable, under development, and security-supported.
I suggest that we maintain the former two, stable and under development. And
append "-dev" or "-devel" to the name of developing one.

Second, the same old story, dependency problem. OpenStack is developed under
python, so it has a lot of python package dependencies. The problem is, many
of these dependencies have a limit of upper bound version. For example,
ceilometer, one of OpenStack packages, has a dependency of python2-alembic
between version 0.4.1 and 0.6.4. However, we have 0.6.4 in AUR. Creating a
temporary 0.6.3 package is totally not acceptable in Arch packaging standards.
This is a reason that I still have ceilometer in my trunk instead of
submitting it to
AUR. Similar problems exist in some ruby packages, too. We may better come up
with a solution to this kind of problem.

BTW, it is great news that the next version of AUR is going to support
split packages.
OpenStack projects are usually packaging in split package style.

[1] http://docs.openstack.org/
[2] https://wiki.openstack.org/wiki/Releases

Cheers,
Lance Chen aka Lance0312