[aur-general] virtualbox-extension-pack vs. virtualbox-ext-oracle

Christian Hesse list at eworm.de
Mon Aug 4 12:15:32 EDT 2014

Hello everybody,

following a lengthy discussion sublu just deleted my package
virtualbox-extension-pack from AUR. This is what his package
(virtualbox-ext-oracle) does:

* Install an archive file.
* Use install script to copy a number of files to /usr without pacman knowing
  about it.

I think this is the wrong way, so I created my own package
(virtualbox-extension-pack) that tries to get it right:

* Just install the files required, "ready to use" for virtualbox.
* No crappy install script required!

My package had about 75 votes IIRC, probably there would have been more if
more people knew about the details. The discussing had a number of comments
that agreed about my opinion regarding installing/coping files to /usr with
pacman or the install script.

Although I think it is wrong seblu is free to provide his package via AUR.
But is there any good reason mine is not allowed to reside there?
--
main(a){char*c=/*    Schoene Gruesse                         */"B?IJj;MEH"
"CX:;",b;for(a/*    Chris           get my mail address:    */=0;b=c[a++];)