[aur-general] Compiz package naming

Florian Dejonckheere florian at floriandejonckheere.be
Tue Aug 5 10:12:58 EDT 2014

On 5 August 2014 14:11, Charles Bos <charlesbos1 at gmail.com> wrote:

> Personally, I think 0.8 is better because Compiz 0.8 is still fairly widely
> used so it might not be fair to call it legacy. That said, it doesn't
> matter to me too much as I don't really have anything to do with Compiz
> 0.8.
>
> Regarding maintainers, these are the people that need to be contacted and
> their relevant packages:
>
>    - hazard - ccsm
>    - MilanKnizek - compizcc
>    - FlorianD - compiz-bcop, compiz-backend-kconfig4, compizconfig-python,
>    simple-ccsm
>    - martadinata666 - compiz-core, compiz-fusion-plugins-main
>    compiz-fusion-plugins-extra
>    - flexiondotorg - compiz-core-mate, compiz-decorator-gtk
>    - JesusMcCloud - compiz-fusion-plugins-main-genie
>    - leafonsword - compiz-fusion-plugins-unsupported
>    - DasMoeh - libcompizconfig
>
> I don't if it's better to leave comments on the relevant packages or send
> these folks an email telling them to join this conversation - hopefully
> they're all at least subscribed to aur-general!
>
> I'm also wondering about emerald. We currently have a package called
> emerald - maintained by martadinata666 - which is the 0.8 version. We also
> have emerald0.9 and emerald-git - both maintained by me - and both of which
> are 0.9 versions. Now if the Compiz 0.8 packages are getting renamed then
> presumably emerald should be renamed to emerald-legacy or emerald0.8 and
> possibly my emerald0.9 package should be renamed to emerald. Thoughts?
>

> On 5 August 2014 01:49, Rob McCathie <korrode at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > ...and did we decide if we're using "-legacy" or "0.8" in the names of
> > the legacy 0.8 series packages?
> >
> > I can make all new 0.8 packages with the changes, submit them, make
> > the merge requests, then disown them (and the original maintainers can
> > take them back, or whatever), if it makes things easier.
> >
> > --
> > Regards,
> > Rob McCathie
> >

> > On Tue, Aug 5, 2014 at 6:58 AM, Charles Bos <charlesbos1 at gmail.com>
> wrote:
> > > The merger has taken place for both packages.

> uploaded

> > sense

> > and

> are
> > weigh in

> > 0.9.x

> > I'll

> > the

> plugins
> > +
> components
> > of

> > things

> > do

> > idea

> would
> > and

> > been

> > korrode at gmail.com>

> and

> > been

> more

> [...]

To throw in my opinion, I'd vote for the 'compiz-legacy' option. It may
still be widely used, but the last release was ages ago. And I don't really
agree with the semantic meaning of 'compiz0.8-0.8.9'. Same for emerald.

On another note, if anyone has compiz packages he/she wants to get rid of,
I'll gladly maintain them. Compiz may have passed the spotlight, but it is
still my daily used awesome window manager (no pun intended).

- Florian