[aur-general] Pinning dependency versions in PKGBUILDs?

Florian Bruhin me at the-compiler.org
Wed Aug 6 08:31:40 EDT 2014

Hi,

I'm maintaining the vim-full[1] package which is a vim with all the
gvim features (Ruby/Lua/Python/Perl/Netbeans) but without GTK/X.

Now obviously I have to depend on vim-runtime, and I currently I have
the version number pinned (just like the vim package).

However that makes upgrading vim-runtime difficult, because pacman
doesn't know about the vim-full upgrade. A possible solution is to
build via `makepkg -d` (ignoring the old vim-runtime version), then
upgrading both vim-full and vim-runtime.

Should I just not pin the version at all (as in "partial upgrades
aren't supported anyways") to avoid these problems?

Florian

[1] https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/vim-full/

             GPG 0xFD55A072 | http://the-compiler.org/pubkey.asc