[aur-general] Pinning dependency versions in PKGBUILDs?

Ivan Shapovalov intelfx100 at gmail.com
Wed Aug 6 09:51:39 EDT 2014

On Wednesday 06 August 2014 at 14:31:40, Florian Bruhin wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm maintaining the vim-full[1] package which is a vim with all the
> gvim features (Ruby/Lua/Python/Perl/Netbeans) but without GTK/X.
>
> Now obviously I have to depend on vim-runtime, and I currently I have
> the version number pinned (just like the vim package).
>
> However that makes upgrading vim-runtime difficult, because pacman
> doesn't know about the vim-full upgrade. A possible solution is to
> build via `makepkg -d` (ignoring the old vim-runtime version), then
> upgrading both vim-full and vim-runtime.
>
> Should I just not pin the version at all (as in "partial upgrades
> aren't supported anyways") to avoid these problems?
>
> Florian
>
> [1] https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/vim-full/

Just a side-note: the same problem is observed in nvidia-dkms[1] AUR package
with respect to its dependency on nvidia-utils[2] official package. I've been
solving it with `pacman -Ud`, but this is clearly inconvenient.

[1]: https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/nvidia-dkms
[2]: https://www.archlinux.org/packages/extra/x86_64/nvidia-utils

Regards,
--