[aur-general] [Bulk] Re: virtualbox-extension-pack vs. virtualbox-ext-oracle

Rob Til Freedmen rob.til.freedman at gmail.com
Wed Aug 6 13:20:10 EDT 2014

Oracle_VM_VirtualBox_Extension_Pack-4.3.14.vbox-extpack
- a collection of binaries for different architectures provided
by Oracle as a convinient and low-maintance way for distributing
- we really should append '-bin' to the package name.

Laurent Carlier <lordheavym at gmail.com> wrote:
>I've checked both packages, then i've also checked virtualbox documentation.
>Documentation is available at http://www.virtualbox.org/manual/
>* Ch8.36. VBoxManage extpack *
><<The "extpack" command allows you to add or remove VirtualBox extension
>packs, as described in Section 1.5, "Installing VirtualBox and extension
>packs".>>

... and shifts the burden of maintenance to the user

What about adding the package to community - readily packed/configured
for the architecture in use - leaving out darwin/solaris/wintendo blobs

Now, 'sudo pacman -Suy' takes care of it.

>In regards of VirtualBox docs, Seblu is installing extension pack the proper
>way.

... and shifts the burden of maintance to the user

Now, 'sudo pacman -Suy' takes care of it.

>Your package isn't following upstream way to install extension package and you
>are not sure it will keep working, you are just lucky.

That's bullshit