[aur-general] replacing packages with split packages: how to merge?

Lukas Fleischer archlinux at cryptocrack.de
Sat Aug 16 14:58:48 EDT 2014

On Sat, 16 Aug 2014 at 20:35:10, Xyne wrote:
> [...]
> >Votes are always only stored per package base. You cannot vote on a
> >package.
> >
> >Note that it is also possible to merge two packages into another package
> >without having a transition period where the original packages are
> >unavailable [1].
> >
> >[1] https://mailman.archlinux.org/pipermail/aur-general/2014-June/028631.html
>
> According to your reply in another thread [1] there is currently no name
> collision between pkgname and pkgbase so I don't understand how that works. If
> you change the pkgname to the pkgbase and append "-old" to the pkgname then it
> will be uploaded as a new, separate package/package base with 0 votes, no?
>
> Wouldn't the overall procedure then be:
> 1) upload all existing packages with pkgbase=$pkgname, pkgname=(${pkgname}-old)
> 2) merge old packages into new pkgbase variants

The package base name defaults to the name of the first package, so
uploading with "pkgbase=$pkgname, pkgname=(${pkgname}-old)" does
automatically "merge" the old packages into the new pkgbase variants (to
be more specific: the package base stays the same, so votes and comments
are retained, but the packages belonging to that package base change).