[aur-general] replacing packages with split packages: how to merge?

Xyne xyne at archlinux.ca
Sat Aug 16 14:35:10 EDT 2014

On 2014-08-16 20:17 +0200
Lukas Fleischer wrote:

>On Sat, 16 Aug 2014 at 20:00:48, Xyne wrote:
>> [...]
>> At first I thought that the pkgbase could be uploaded without anything in the
>> pkgnames array as a placeholder for merging, but that would lump all the
>> votes into the pkgbase and not the individual packages.
>>
>> Am I missing something?
>>

>Votes are always only stored per package base. You cannot vote on a
>package.
>
>Note that it is also possible to merge two packages into another package
>without having a transition period where the original packages are
>unavailable [1].
>
>[1] https://mailman.archlinux.org/pipermail/aur-general/2014-June/028631.html

According to your reply in another thread [1] there is currently no name
collision between pkgname and pkgbase so I don't understand how that works. If
you change the pkgname to the pkgbase and append "-old" to the pkgname then it
will be uploaded as a new, separate package/package base with 0 votes, no?

Wouldn't the overall procedure then be:
1) upload all existing packages with pkgbase=$pkgname, pkgname=(${pkgname}-old)
2) merge old packages into new pkgbase variants
3) upload new split package (assuming no pkgbase name collision)
4) merge all placeholder pkgbases
?

[1] https://mailman.archlinux.org/pipermail/aur-dev/2014-August/002934.html