[aur-general] AUR request mentality

Lukas Fleischer archlinux at cryptocrack.de
Sun Aug 17 09:03:51 EDT 2014

On Sun, 17 Aug 2014 at 14:35:21, LoneVVolf wrote:
> Perhaps we could treat the aur-requests more like a bug tracker ?
>
> a possible flow :
>
> request is filed and gets unassigned status
>
> TUs review unassigned requests
>
> If they feel they are right person to handle it, they assign it to
> themselves.
> request status changes to assigned, and the TU is now responsible for
> handling the request.
>
> If they are not, they leave the request unassigned, maybe post something
> why they are not qualified.

Fixing a bug can take a lot of time and might require someone with
special knowledge. Accepting a package request literally takes a couple
of seconds (read the reason, double-check whether it is valid, click a
link) and every Trusted User should be able to decide whether a request
is valid or not. If a request is controversial, a TU should sent a short
email to the mailing list and the request should be marked in the
request list (can be done automatically). Any additional administrative
burden is counterproductive.