[aur-general] re-submission of onionshare

carstene1ns arch at carsten-teibes.de
Fri Aug 22 19:10:22 EDT 2014

Am 22.08.2014 um 19:47 schrieb simon.hanna at serve-me.info:
> I came across a deletion request. In this request the maintainer wanted to remove all reference of him from the package. The result was that the whole PKGBUILD was removed from AUR.
That was the only possibility to remove his name as submitter without
messing directly with the AUR database or deleting his account.

> I found the PKGBUILD in the AUR's git repo, added myself as a maintainer and would publish it again. Is that OK?
Of course, the package does not seem to violate the AUR rules, so why
not? You should also think about, if the reasons for the former
maintainer to remove it is valid for you(r country).

> Since it would be my first submitted PKGBUILD it would be nice, if you could tell me if I could do anything better.
> Should I submit both, or just one of them. If only one, then which one is "better"?

You can submit both, it is your decision if you want to maintain both
(note, that a -git package can sometimes break and you should keep an
eye on the repository).

About the -git package:
$SRCDEST variable should be replaced by $srcdir in the pkgver()
function. makepkg will take care of whether you use a common directory
for all source files or not.

Some suggestions about both packages (note, that this are my personal
opinion and not errors):
You can remove the quotes from pkgname variable, they are not necessary.
You can use a more verbose pkgver() function, to identify the commit[1].

best regards,
carstene1ns

[1]: https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/VCS_PKGBUILD_Guidelines#Git