[aur-general] Code review request: new PKGBUILD "omodoro"

Doug Newgard scimmia22 at outlook.com
Sun Feb 9 19:12:50 EST 2014

> Date: Mon, 10 Feb 2014 00:15:55 +0100
> From: okraits at arcor.de
> To: aur-general at archlinux.org
> Subject: [aur-general] Code review request: new PKGBUILD "omodoro"
>
> Hello trusty Arch people,
>
> i just created my first PKGBUILD for the little python script "omodoro"
> i wrote. It would be nice if you guys could do a code review to approve
> the PKGBUILD i wrote for the AUR.
>
> The PKGBUILD is here:
>
> http://www.okraits.de/upload/omodoro/PKGBUILD
>
> Any feedback/criticism is appreciated!
>
> Greetings,
>
> Oliver

1. Your pkgver function doesn't work. pkgver should not be random, it should increase with each commit to the repo.
2. Don't have it depend on an old, replaced package (python3). You just want 'python'.
3. Please quote paths that contain a variable like $pkgdir.
4. You should append -git to the pkgname when you're pulling from git master.
5. Why bother to define _gitname if it's the same as pkgname? Since you should be changing pkgname, _gitname can make sense or you can just do ${pkgname%-git} and get the same thing without having to use an extra variable.

Those are my suggestions, nothing too serious.