[aur-general] Code review request: new PKGBUILD "omodoro"

Anatol Pomozov anatol.pomozov at gmail.com
Mon Feb 10 00:34:42 EST 2014

Hi

On Sun, Feb 9, 2014 at 9:08 PM, David Phillips <dbphillipsnz at gmail.com> wrote:
> Related to (4): I've got a PKGBUILD
> (https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/pa/passgen/PKGBUILD) which points
> to a git repo, but *not* using a "git://xyz.git" url. Instead, I'm
> using the format
> "https://github.com/phillid/passgen/archive/master.zip" - should this
> package have -git appended?

Yes, it should. The "-git" suffix indicates that the package is built
from VCS. "master.zip" source file *also* comes from VCS, from git
repo and means "current HEAD of master branch". The main point of VCS
package is that the source is moving target and it changes
independently from package maintainer. And it differs from 'versioned'
package where sources are changed only when maintainer updates
PKGBUILD.

Using "master.zip" is a bad idea because:
 - Once master.zip downloaded it is cached in the local directory. If
you run makepkg again nothing will be redownloaded even if upstream
repository has changed.
 - Updating local git repository is more effective as it fetches only
the latest changes. Thus package rebuild is faster.

So what you want for passgen:
 - rename it to passgen-git
 - use git repository for sources=() instead of 'master.zip'
 - add 'git' to makedepends
 - add proper pkgver()
 - use 'SKIP' for sha1sum as project head can change at any moment