[aur-general] Perl core modules in the AUR

Jason St. John jstjohn at purdue.edu
Tue Feb 18 01:19:09 EST 2014

On Mon, Feb 17, 2014 at 7:04 PM, John D Jones III
<unixgeek1972 at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 02/17/14 16:32, Jason St. John wrote:
>>
>> Hello,
>>
>> Is there any reason to keep AUR packages for Perl core modules? The
>> only reason I can think of is if there is an important bug fix or
>> feature addition that has not made it into the latest Perl release
>> yet, but I'm guessing this doesn't happen very often.
>>
>> Should _all_ AUR packages for Perl core modules be deleted or should
>> only AUR packages where the latest version on CPAN is <= the provides
>> list for the 'perl' package in [core] be deleted? If so, should I/we
>> just send an email to this list, as usual, for all of these packages?
>>
>> Jason
>>

> Jason:
> Well it depends on the core module. Certain ones like: CPANPLUS for instance
> as well as some of it's dependencies, warn loudly about CPANPLUS being
> removed from CORE in an up coming version of Perl and to install from CPAN.
> I have a few I maintain for that reason, so when that Perl version hits the
> Core repo, they're already there and won't break pplz code. These cases are
> cases where we want them there.
>
> On the other hand, once a module that was not in CORE on older versions
> become CORE modules, I believe that the corresponding AUR Package should be
> removed. I've lamented a few times about packages like Catalyst::Runtime
> that complain about needing a newer module than what's available in CORE,
> I've debated seeing about submitting these new versions; the time or two
> I've tried, I've been staunchly rejected but the AUR uploader. Thankfully
> this is rare, and it's usually a module in Community, where one can just
> mark that package out of date.
>
> I've tried to be vigilant about the CORE modules that are warning loudly
> about being removed from CORE and getting an AUR PKGBUILD up as quickly as
> possible; This is the only viable argument for CORE modz in AUR as far as
> I'm concerned.
>
> --
> Thanks,
> John D Jones III
> UNIX Zealot; Perl Lover
> unixgeek1972 at gmail.com
> jnbek1972 at gmail.com
> http://zoelife4u.org/

Is there a list published somewhere of the core modules that will be
removed in upcoming versions of Perl? I have a small Perl script that
can check a given module and its version, but if a list has already
been made, that would be easier for me than hacking it to check the
big list of provided modules from the perl package in [core].

Thanks,
Jason