[aur-general] PKGBUILD review request

Sam Stuewe halosghost at archlinux.info
Fri Jan 10 20:23:39 EST 2014

On 2014-01-10 19:10, Anatol Pomozov wrote:
> Well, $srcdir/$destdir need double-quotes because they might contain
> spaces (although creating dirs with white-spaces on UNIX is a dumb
> idea). What about other variables like $pkgver? The same question
> applied to other parts of PKGBUILD - why quotes are needed for
> dependencies, license, arch, sources...?

It's not actually required if you know that the variable won't expand
incorrectly. However, it is good practice to do so. And, using
double-quotes will ensure proper expansion. I tend to be incredibly
verbose about this and even include braces for variables:

"${pkgname}-${pkgver}.tar.gz"

It looks cleanest to me this way, and I know that it will always expand
the way I want it to. This is, however, a matter of style more than
anything else.

--
All the best,
Sam Stuewe (HalosGhost)