[aur-general] Perl Upgrade, make test failures and you: The Hurt That Finds You First

John D Jones III unixgeek1972 at gmail.com
Mon Jun 9 16:53:13 EDT 2014

All:
In my quest to begin getting my packages updated for the recent Perl
5.20 release. I have run into a number of problems with tests failing on
most of the pkgbuilds, even stable pkgbuilds like perl-moose or
perl-moo. These test errors primarily smell like this:

Test Summary Report
-------------------
t/00_modules.t                              (Wstat: 512 Tests: 0
Failed: 0)
   Non-zero exit status: 2
   Parse errors: No plan found in TAP output

with many more of the same. To fix this, I ended up just going through
and mass rebuilding all my AUR perl pkgbuilds installed on my machine as
such:

for p in $(pacman -Qm | grep perl- | awk '{ print $1 }'); do yaourt -S
$p --noconfirm; [[ $? > 0 ]] && echo $p >> /tmp/fail.1; done

when that finishes, I then run:

for p in $(cat /tmp/fail.1); do yaourt -S $p --noconfirm; [[ $? > 0 ]]
&& echo $p >> /tmp/fail.2; done

Note the increment of the integer for the /tmp/fail extension. I ran
this once more ( with the correct fail.2 file >> /tmp/fail.3 ) and I
watched the builds, and noted the failures that were due to out of date
URLs, or errors beyond my control ( IE: missing patch files, etc ).

Something between the first run mass reinstalling all m/^perl-.+$/ with
pacman -Qm and the second run, iterating the /tmp/fail.1 file all the
failures from tests cleared up. the third run, caught the rest where
there was a bum dependency or the like. For me with roughly 100
installed pkgbuilds on a local machine from AUR. It took just the three
runs. You may or may not experience similar results; some may only need
to run twice, some may need to run 4 or 5 times ( Just remember to
increment your integer file extension between each run to 4 and/or 5 as
applicable). But this should help in fixing the test failures that so
many are seeing. Now if you don't use yaourt to manage your packages,
I'm sorry. I've used it for 7 years without issue and point and laugh at
all the haters. Haters gonna hate. :-P If someone out there cares to
provide instructions for a either a yaourt alternative tool, such as
packer, or a raw method, please reply to this post. Any flaming about
yaourt ( or Perl ) will result in me LOLing at you with every ounce of
LOL this mortal coil can muster.

Now, all that said. Please don't mark a pkgbuild out of date simply
because the tests fail. Leave the author a comment instead. Only mark
the Perl pkgbuilds out of date, that are in fact out of date... If you
mark one of my pkgbuilds out of date and it's not, I will happily unmark
it and give you the URL to this very post.

--
Thanks,
John D Jones III
unixgeek1972 at gmail.com