[aur-general] Perl Upgrade, make test failures and you: The Hurt That Finds You First

John D Jones III unixgeek1972 at gmail.com
Thu Jun 12 19:25:14 EDT 2014

On 06/12/14 07:36, Justin Davis wrote:
> I was wondering about this myself. I think the tests failing might
> indicate that broken modules are being used but it's probably too late
> to know for sure. Unofficial, platform-dependent perl modules (i.e.
> those with .so files) need to be rebuilt for perl 5.20 which I assume
> you noticed, John.
>
> To really get to the bottom of things, it helps to cut through the
> layers of abstraction and just run the test script directly. For
> example something like this might give you a more explicit error
> message:
>
> perl -Mblib src/perl-whatever-01/t/00-modules.t
>
> Back to your terse, error message. In the test harness, Wstat is the
> wait status of the perl process that ran the test. If you shift 512
> right by 8 bits, you get 2, which is the exit status. This doesn't
> indicate a segfault, though, which is surprising. If that were true
> one of the first 8 bits would be set, I think.
>
> Anyways, it's probably too late to tell what was causing your test failures.

Well, the more I dig into it, it seems that it has to do with a number
of modules that have AUR pkgbuilds that were moved into core_perl this
release. Perl looks in vendor_perl for it's modules before core_perl and
since the vendor_perl module's version is too low, that was the point of
failure for a number of them. As for the test failures such as these:

t/00_modules.t                              (Wstat: 512 Tests: 0
Failed: 0)
   Non-zero exit status: 2
   Parse errors: No plan found in TAP output

I have yet to find the source of those. I suspect one of the many
modules I have installed ( probably even one of mine ) just needs a
pkgrel bump to force a reinstall, which is why the wanton mass
rebuilding of all the installed modules seems to 'fix' the problem. A
bad backfire from having the pkgbuilds deleted, is that the files
installed by the pkgbuild become orphans... and other modules trying to
use the modules find these outdated orphaned files, instead of the shiny
new module in core_perl. A purging of the dirs of orphans will fix
that... I'm still working on getting everything back to a stable state
so I can get the buildserver working again to pkgrel bump what needs it.

DIR=$(perl -E'say join " ", grep {!/\./} @INC');
find $(echo $DIR) -type f -exec pacman -Qo -- {} + >/dev/null

A quick run of that, nets a buttload of files orphaned on my system and
I may have found my problem...

error: No package owns /usr/share/perl5/site_perl/TAP/Parser.pm
error: No package owns /usr/share/perl5/site_perl/TAP/Parser/Iterator.pm
error: No package owns /usr/share/perl5/site_perl/TAP/Parser/Result.pm
error: No package owns /usr/share/perl5/site_perl/TAP/Parser/Scheduler.pm
error: No package owns
/usr/share/perl5/site_perl/TAP/Parser/ResultFactory.pm
error: No package owns
/usr/share/perl5/site_perl/TAP/Parser/Result/Version.pm
error: No package owns
/usr/share/perl5/site_perl/TAP/Parser/Result/Unknown.pm
error: No package owns /usr/share/perl5/site_perl/TAP/Parser/Result/Test.pm
error: No package owns
/usr/share/perl5/site_perl/TAP/Parser/Result/Comment.pm
error: No package owns
/usr/share/perl5/site_perl/TAP/Parser/Result/Bailout.pm
error: No package owns
/usr/share/perl5/site_perl/TAP/Parser/Result/Pragma.pm
error: No package owns /usr/share/perl5/site_perl/TAP/Parser/Result/Plan.pm
error: No package owns /usr/share/perl5/site_perl/TAP/Parser/Result/YAML.pm
error: No package owns /usr/share/perl5/site_perl/TAP/Parser/Source.pm
error: No package owns
/usr/share/perl5/site_perl/TAP/Parser/SourceHandler/Perl.pm
error: No package owns
/usr/share/perl5/site_perl/TAP/Parser/SourceHandler/Executable.pm
error: No package owns
/usr/share/perl5/site_perl/TAP/Parser/SourceHandler/File.pm
error: No package owns
/usr/share/perl5/site_perl/TAP/Parser/SourceHandler/RawTAP.pm
error: No package owns
/usr/share/perl5/site_perl/TAP/Parser/SourceHandler/Handle.pm
error: No package owns
/usr/share/perl5/site_perl/TAP/Parser/Scheduler/Job.pm
error: No package owns
/usr/share/perl5/site_perl/TAP/Parser/Scheduler/Spinner.pm
error: No package owns /usr/share/perl5/site_perl/TAP/Parser/Grammar.pm
error: No package owns
/usr/share/perl5/site_perl/TAP/Parser/IteratorFactory.pm
error: No package owns /usr/share/perl5/site_perl/TAP/Parser/Aggregator.pm
error: No package owns
/usr/share/perl5/site_perl/TAP/Parser/Iterator/Stream.pm
error: No package owns
/usr/share/perl5/site_perl/TAP/Parser/Iterator/Array.pm
error: No package owns
/usr/share/perl5/site_perl/TAP/Parser/Iterator/Process.pm
error: No package owns
/usr/share/perl5/site_perl/TAP/Parser/SourceHandler.pm
error: No package owns
/usr/share/perl5/site_perl/TAP/Parser/YAMLish/Reader.pm
error: No package owns
/usr/share/perl5/site_perl/TAP/Parser/YAMLish/Writer.pm
error: No package owns /usr/share/perl5/site_perl/TAP/Parser/Multiplexer.pm
error: No package owns /usr/share/perl5/site_perl/TAP/Harness.pm
error: No package owns /usr/share/perl5/site_perl/TAP/Harness/Env.pm
error: No package owns /usr/share/perl5/site_perl/TAP/Harness/Beyond.pod
error: No package owns /usr/share/perl5/site_perl/TAP/Base.pm
error: No package owns
/usr/share/perl5/site_perl/TAP/Formatter/File/Session.pm
error: No package owns
/usr/share/perl5/site_perl/TAP/Formatter/Console/Session.pm
error: No package owns
/usr/share/perl5/site_perl/TAP/Formatter/Console/ParallelSession.pm
error: No package owns /usr/share/perl5/site_perl/TAP/Formatter/Session.pm
error: No package owns /usr/share/perl5/site_perl/TAP/Formatter/File.pm
error: No package owns /usr/share/perl5/site_perl/TAP/Formatter/Color.pm
error: No package owns /usr/share/perl5/site_perl/TAP/Formatter/Base.pm
error: No package owns /usr/share/perl5/site_perl/TAP/Formatter/Console.pm
error: No package owns /usr/share/perl5/site_perl/TAP/Object.pm

those files are also in the core_perl directory.... which means the
tests are failing, because of these darn site_perl files...

More to follow...

--
Thanks,
John D Jones III