[aur-general] AUR logo

Ralf Mardorf info.mardorf at rocketmail.com
Sun Jun 22 05:01:56 EDT 2014

> > >Consistency, I'd say.
> >
> > My point exactly.
>
> "Logo design is an important area of graphic design, and one of the most
> difficult to perfect. The logo (ideogram) is the image embodying an
> organization. Because logos are meant to represent companies' brands or
> corporate identities and foster their immediate customer recognition, it
> is counterproductive to frequently redesign logos." -
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Logo
>
> I visited a school for design, but I suspect there's no need to have
> this education to understand why a logo usually shouldn't be modified.
> There are exceptions, you e.g. can modify the Motörhead logo under your
> skateboard to communicate something, because a logo as the Motörhead
> logo is well known, the band doesn't need promotion and even if they
> would need promotion, you'll communicate something, what kind of skater
> you are and you don't care about band promotion.
>
> OTOH if you do research regarding to a Linux distro, you'll be able to
> focus the technical issue and similar _and_ you want to to be able to
> immediately identify the logo, to become aware that you're on the right
> website etc. pp..

PS:

IOW if you want to make promotion or you want have consistency to
provide the best possible value of brand recognition, use the one and
only original Arch Linux logo. If you want to communicate that you're a
punk rocker using Arch Linux, modify the logo, e.g. "merge" the logo
with the classical anarchy logo. So for anything that has to do with
Arch Linux, the one and only original logo ist a must. For your
wallpapers, t-shirts and skateboards use what ever does fit to the
message you want to communicate.