[aur-general] Information request about libnss-mysql

Jerome Leclanche adys.wh at gmail.com
Sun Jun 29 16:48:38 EDT 2014

On Sun, Jun 29, 2014 at 7:38 PM, John WH Smith <jwhsmith at englandmail.com> wrote:
> On 29/06/14 19:08, carstene1ns wrote:
>> Am 29.06.2014 15:55, schrieb John WH Smith:> Hel
>> The aur-mirror[2] reveals it was moved from the repositories to the AUR
>> before 2011 and maintained by Judd Vinet and Dale Blount back in 2006.
>> Both left Arch[3] some time ago.
>> The comment by 'mortzu' on the package page corresponds to that
>> commit[4], where the maintainer information were stripped.
>> After that, somebody modernized the package[5], however, who that did is
>> lost.
>> I hope this helps as well. Now a little question: Why do you want to
>> know who maintained it? There are no patches or anything.
>>
>> best regards,
>> carstene1ns
>>
>> [1]:
>> http://arch.carsten-teibes.de/aur-stuff/aur-cleanup-02-2014/packages_to_orphan.html#l
>> [2]:
>> http://pkgbuild.com/git/aur-mirror.git/commit/libnss-mysql/PKGBUILD?id=92a5777293550ed73544fd2322a38120810831c6
>> [3]: https://www.archlinux.org/fellows/
>> [4]:
>> http://pkgbuild.com/git/aur-mirror.git/commit/libnss-mysql/PKGBUILD?id=1811ef056dc0febabf6982ea493441fb16504d08
>> [5]:
>> http://pkgbuild.com/git/aur-mirror.git/commit/libnss-mysql/PKGBUILD?id=503301b9e787202bc614b44cbd2ea3d9837b6804
>>
> I am currently looking for a solution to store UNIX users in a MySQL
> database (virtual hosting).
> The NSS module for MySQL got my attention, yet it has no active
> community/team around it.
>
> When I saw that the Arch package had been updated more recently, I
> thought someone was working on it again.
> Being a regular Arch user myself, the AUR seemed to me like a good place
> to look for movement.

Seems unlikely. Most packagers on the AUR don't have much contact with
upstream at all (unless they are upstream themselves).

> To be honest, I am very surprised that both libnss-mysql and nss-mysql
> are such ghosts...

I'm really not; it's an obscure use case. MySQL isn't exactly the
poster child of great databases either.
There's a libnss-pgsql but it seems similarly outdated.
https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/libnss-pgsql/