[aur-general] Request for replacing canon-ufr to cndrvcups-lb-bin

LoneVVolf lonewolf at xs4all.nl
Mon Mar 3 19:04:07 EST 2014

Hi,

I am the maintainer of the cndrvcups-lb package.

First, I apologise for breaking the thread but i had aur-general mailing
options set to digest, so can't reply in thread (changed to single now).

After I found out Allen Choong had uploaded the package canon-ufr and
this provided the binary counterpart  of my cndrvcups-lb (builds from
source ) I contacted him and we discussed what name to use for both
packages to make it easier for users to see they were alternatives.

If you look into the source files, you'll see several things :

the downloaded file is called
Linux_UFRII_PrinterDriver_Vxyz_uk_EN.tar.gz (xyz = version number)

Inside that file are canon supplied deb & rpm binaries.
they use names like cndrvcups-common-foo and cndrvcups-ufr2-foo

In the sources folder you'll find cndrvcups-common-foo and
cndrvcups-lb-foo .

When i started work on this package in 2012 there were already several
(older) packages for these printers using cndrvcups in the name, so it
seemed logical to stick to that.
As my package builds from source, I decided to stay close to name canon
used for the source files, not the binaries.
This lead to cndrvcups-lb and cndrvcups-common-lb.
(there was already another cndrvcups-common package in aur that was
incompatible with my package).

I suggested to Allen Choong we could choose between cndrvcups-lb /
cndrvcups-lb-bin and cndrvcups-ufr2 /cndrvcups-ufr2-bin , he was ok with
cndrvcups-lb .

Lone_Wolf