[aur-general] Move vagrant to [community]?

Jonathan Steel mail at jsteel.org
Mon Mar 17 16:00:07 EDT 2014

On Tue 11 Mar 2014 at 19:48, Jonathan Steel wrote:
> On Fri 21 Feb 2014 at 19:34, Jonathan Steel wrote:
> > On Fri 21 Feb 2014 at 12:51, Ido Rosen wrote:
> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > I maintain vagrant package in AUR.  I believe vagrant is a very useful tool
> > > for ArchLinux users.  I am happy to continue maintaining it in AUR;
> > > however, for the good of the community, it would be great if one of you TUs
> > > could move vagrant into [community] as soon as possible so it could get
> > > wider exposure.  It currently has ~147 votes.  Releases are infrequent, so
> > > it has been very easy to maintain overall.
> > >
> > > AUR package: https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/vagrant/
> > > Upstream distribution website: http://www.vagrantup.com/
> > > [...]
> >
> > I use this a bit and was considering moving it to community when I had a
> > bit more time. If no one steps up in the next week or so then I'll start
> > looking at moving it/the best way to package it.
>
> Vagrant has been updated in the AUR using my proposed installation method
> (not using the rpm file). This means needing 22 ruby-* packages.
>
> Please share comments/suggestions/concerns either here or in the comments:
>
> https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/vagrant/
>
> I plan to move it to [community] along with dependencies by the end of the
> week, unless concerns/issues arise.

The gem-based install did have issues. With help from a few users a version
that uses vagrant-installers is now available. This does not have the 22
ruby-* dependencies but it is now a large self-contained package in /opt/,
much like the rpm version was.

I plan to move this to [community] in a day or two assuming no further
issues are reported.

--
Jonathan Steel